Looking to switch up the same old appetizer recipes you serve at parties or gatherings? Kick off your next party with Smoked Salmon Avocado Flatbreads your guests will love.
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the Seafood Nutrition Partnership and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
I was excited to enter this recipe contest sponsored by the Seafood Nutrition Partnership because I feel like seafood does not get enough love in the appetizer department. Also, I selfishly can’t wait to see what everyone else came up with for this contest to get even more seafood inspired recipe ideas.
Yes, you may see the usual shrimp cocktail, or crab dip included in an appetizer spread. There are so many other seafood options to consider.
Why add more seafood into your weekly routine?
Eating seafood twice a week reduces the risk of death from any health-related cause. Studies show it may reduce your risk of heart disease, plus it gives you more energy throughout the day. (Source)
My feeling is the general population knows they should eat more seafood, but not sure how to prepare it. From delicate, mild flounder to rich, flavorful salmon, or sweet and savory shrimp, seafood can please any palate. Seafood fits with all of your favorite flavors – it can be incorporated into a spicy Latin dish, flavorful Creole recipe, light, and refreshing salad, or a rich Italian pasta bowl.
I’ve loved smoked salmon ever since I was introduced to it when I worked at a local bagel shop in high school. It has a silky, buttery, texture balanced with a not so fishy, smokiness flavor. All seafood, including smoked salmon, is one of the leanest sources of protein and a superfood packed with nutrients such as omega-3s, which is essential for your good heart health.
The Great Debate: Farm-Raised or Wild Caught:
I get this question often and I never tell anyone one way or another, but rather to help them educate themselves. The Seafood Nutrition Partnership collaborates with FishWatch.gov who provides easy-to-understand facts about the science and management behind U.S. seafood and tips on how to make educated seafood choices. Helping everyone—from chefs to consumers—understand sustainable seafood.
Also, check out Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch. They make recommendations, in your area, showing you which seafood items are “Best Choices” or “Good Alternatives,” and which ones you should “Avoid.” This list is constantly being updated as things are changing.Print
Smoked Salmon Avocado Flatbread
- Yield: 8 appetizer pieces 1x
- Category: appetizer
Looking to switch up the same old appetizer recipes you serve at parties or gatherings? Kick off your next party with Smoked Salmon Avocado Flatbreads
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 whole grain naan
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup arugula
- 6 oz. smoked salmon
- 1/2 of an avocado, sliced thinly
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking cheese with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, cream cheese, dill, garlic, and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Mix well.
- Spread evenly over both pieces of naan bread. Top with onion slices.
- Bake naan in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the edges and bottom of the naan are crisp.
- Remove naan from the oven. Let slightly cool.
- In a small bowl, toss arugula with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top naan with arugula, salmon, and avocado. Cut each naan into 4 appetizer size slices. Serve.
Keywords: smoked salmon, flatbread, appetizer
Pin it for later!
Learn more about the Seafood Nutrition Partnership:
The colors in this recipe are just so beautiful!
I adore seafood – especially smoked salmon!!! This looks so delicious 🙂
Smoked salmon and avocado is one of my favorite savory food combos. These look delicious!