Looking for a protein-packed and plant-based breakfast? Try a new breakfast idea, Smashed Chickpea Scramble.
I have a slight obsession with chickpeas. If you search “chickpeas” on my recipe index tab, there are plenty of recipes to choose from. For me, what I think sets them apart is their texture. With a firmer texture, chickpeas are sturdier in dishes. Plus, chickpeas have a slightly nutty taste that pairs well with many flavors.
Ever wonder how I come up with new recipes?
The recipe development process:
I am usually inspired with new recipe ideas from when I travel, go out to eat, or just chatting with my friends, family, and clients. This recipe was inspired when I was counseling a client who was looking for warm plant-based breakfast ideas, that is packed with protein.
The first priority of when I develop a new recipe is taste. If it doesn’t taste good, then no one is going to want to make it or even eat it. Then I think of the nutritional value. Hello, dietitian here. Of course, I’m going to add that to the recipe development process.
During this client’s session, she mentioned she loved chickpeas. We had a brief bonding moment of our love for chickpeas. She asked if I had a chickpea breakfast recipe. I did not! Well, I have this cookie dough smoothie bowl, but she specifically asked for something warm.
Every recipe on here has a story. This is how this recipe became created. This is why I love cooking! I’m inspired daily to get creative in the kitchen.
Smashed Chickpea Scramble
- Yield: 4
- Category: breakfast
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced
- In a bowl, add chickpeas, water, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mash with the back of a fork, leaving some whole for texture.
- Fold in turmeric, cumin, ginger, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and hummus until well combined.
- Heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Add the smashed chickpea mixture with spinach. Saute until chickpeas are warmed through and spinach has wilted.
- Serve with diced avocado and tomatoes.
Keywords: breakfast, plant-based, vegetarian
Pin it for later!
Recipe created for Living Plate Pro meal plans.