It’s either I am too eager to flip them before they are ready or the flipping process is just a disaster, like how I flipped it right on top on my other pancakes and I just made one giant pancake mound. Culinary school graduate fail.
I was going to attempt to make this recipe into individual pancakes, but instead of the hassle of making a bunch of pancakes, I tried making one giant pancake and let me tell you.. it was the best idea I’ve ever had.
This giant pancake can now be served family style, so no more waiting for your stack on Sunday morning when everyone else is chowing down. Plus, no more pancake flipping disasters!
I opted to top mine with apple slices this time, but now I am thinking of all the topping options I want to try. This is going to become a staple on my weekends. Bonus, it heats up well too!
Serve pancakes family style with this (grain-free) Jumbo Skillet Apple Pancake.
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk, from the can
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch (or tapioca starch)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 apple (such as a Honeycrisp Pink Lady), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- Place a large cast iron skillet in the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F, leaving the skillet inside during preheating.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot starch, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and stir until fully combined.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and add the coconut oil. Swirl it around the pan to coat the bottom and sides. Carefully pour the batter into the skillet. Gently place the apple slices on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly puffed.
- Serve sprinkled with extra cinnamon and drizzle with maple syrup, if desired.
adapted from Paleo Magazine
Keywords: #pancake #jumbopancake #apple #glutenfree #breakfast #brunch