Cauliflower rice can replace rice in any recipe for a low-carb option. Try this Spanish-Style Cauliflower Rice inspired by traditional Spanish flavors.
My fiance’s family is originally from Spain and over the years of us dating, I’ve really come to learn about Spanish cuisine and now love using certain spices that are common in traditional Spanish dishes. One spice that is commonly used is smoked paprika.
What is smoked paprika?
Smoked paprika is a Spanish cousin to the more widely used sweet Hungarian paprika. It’s made from pimiento peppers that have been dried and smoked over an oak fire, then ground into a fine powder. It has a deep red color and a smoky aroma.
Cauliflower rice has become one of my favorite side dishes because it cooks up so quickly, plus it adds a full serving+ of vegetables to a meal.
Cauliflower is a member of the cruciferous vegetable (or Brassicaceae) family- along with broccoli, cabbage, kale, Brussel sprouts, and some other less common varieties.Print
Spanish-Style Cauliflower Rice
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: side dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: spanish
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cored and riced (see tips in the note section)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup raw almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, until the onion begins to turn translucent and is fragrant. Add the cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until cauliflower is tender. (Be sure to not overcook, or cauliflower will become mushy) Add paprika and cumin. Sauté for an additional minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth and tomato paste until smooth. Add to the skillet and stir to incorporate into the cauliflower rice. Cook for 2-3 minutes until liquid has absorbed and evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley.
recipe adapted from Paleo magazine
To rice the cauliflower:
option 1: Take a box grater and grate the cauliflower into rice in a bowl
option 2: Place cauliflower florets in a food processor pulse until reach desired rice consistency.
option 3: Buy the pre-riced cauliflower, often found fresh in the produce section or frozen at your local grocery store.
Keywords: cauliflower, cauliflower rice, spanish
Gorgeous! I’ve never made cauliflower rice but have always wanted to give it a try. This will definitely be happening!
this texas girl is LOVING this recipe! brilliant!!
Pingback: 26 Creative + Healthy Cauliflower Recipes + Cauliflower Nutrition 101