Looking for a budget friendly recipe? You’ve come to the right place. These Southwest Stuffed Peppers will keep your stomach and wallet full coming in at only $1.06 per serving.
The Recipe ReDux challenged members to see how low they can go and make a meal for less than $3 per serving.
Did you know that within the top 3 New Year’s resolutions #3 involved finances?
1. Lose Weight/Eat Healthier
2. Life/Self Improvements
3. Better Financial Decisions
Many are looking to make better financial decisions this year, myself included. I was curious to see how much I was actually spending on groceries per month, so I tracked it for the month to see my typical cost on groceries. Being a food blogger and one who weirdly enjoys grocery shopping, when I see new items they tend to creep into my cart. That being said, my monthly grocery spending was a little higher than I thought it would be.
Ever since then I’ve been more conscious of my spending when at the grocery store. I loved that this Recipe ReDux theme was this month because I had fun shopping to see how low I can go with the cost per serving. This definitely busts the myth that “healthy eating is expensive”, considering this recipe totals to $1.06 per serving made with healthy and wholesome ingredients.
Here’s the breakdown:
Wondering what I will be doing with those half cans of ingredients? I love being creative with extra ingredients that I have in the fridge. I think this will turn into a burrito bowl.
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 (14.5 oz) can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 (14.5 oz) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Slice pepper in half lengthwise, place on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- In a saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, saute until translucent. Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, and cooked quinoa and cook until heated through. Stir in cheese.
- Remove peppers from oven and stuff with bean mixture. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with avocado slices.