Need a dinner idea? Fire up the grill for lean cuts of beef, like flank steak and top it with a creamy chimichurri for a simple dinner solution.
Disclosure: By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by The Beef Checkoff and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Significant research shows that some people can lose and/or maintain a healthy weight, support a healthy metabolism, and age more vibrantly when they consume more high-quality protein, within calorie goals. With 25 grams of protein and 10 essential nutrients in just one 3-ounce serving, lean beef should make its way onto your dinner plate.
Consuming about 20-30 gram of protein per meal has proven benefits including feeling satisfied after a protein-packed meal, which helps reduce mindless eating as well as helps build muscle and reduce body fat. But not all proteins are created equal. High quality proteins (like lean beef) are “complete” proteins that contain all the essential amino acids in the ratio needed by the body and are easily digestible.
The one thing about nutrition, is that the media really takes over with promoting or demoting certain nutrition attributes. For awhile red meat was put in a negative light due to it’s higher saturated fat content, but there are plenty of leaner cuts of red meat. Red meat contains Vitamin B12, B3 (Niacin), B6, Iron, Zinc, Selenium and plenty of other vitamins and minerals, so it is beneficial to incorporate in your diet in moderation.
The Beef Check Off makes it super easy to find out what cuts of beef are lean. Check out this online Butcher’s Counter to help you choose leaner cuts next time you are at the grocery store.
The lean cut I decided to use for this recipe is flank steak. I used to cook for a family and they would always request chimichurri to put in top of their flank steak. Chimichurri is an Argentinean sauce most commonly served with red meat. It was one of their favorite dinners, so I would cook it often. I was inspired to create a similar topping for flank steak but with a little twist. I made by regular chimichurri sauce but added plain Greek yogurt and avocado to make a rich a creamy.
The creamy chimichurri makes extra, which can be a great addition to a meal or snack as a dip or spread.
Flank Steak with Creamy Chimichurri
- Yield: 4
- Creamy Chimichurri:
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (6 oz) container plain Greek yogurt
- 1 avocado
- Flank Steak:
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak
- Preheat grill.
- For the creamy chimichurri: Combine the parsley, basil, cilantro, olive oil, garlic, vinegar, lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper in a blender. Process until fresh herbs are finely chopped. Add the Greek yogurt and avocado and blend until smooth and creamy.
- For the flank steak: Combine the chili powder, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Rub evenly over the flank steak. Grill steak on both sides about 4 minutes each or until preferred doneness. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes (to retain juices). Cut on bias into strips.
- Serve with the creamy chimichurri sauce.
This recipe makes extra creamy chimichurri. Enjoy as a dip or spread to accompany other recipes.