A creamy soup without the cream? Check out the secret ingredient that makes this dairy free Creamy Tomato Soup thick and creamy. Can you believe it’s almost 2017!? Where did the year go? The Recipe ReDux club is playing a little party game at the end of 2016: Grabbing your nearest cookbook and ReDux the recipe on page 201, 16, 216 – or any combination of the number ‘2016.’
I opened You Have It Made cookbook by Ellie Krieger to page 126 – creamy tomato soup. I actually won this cookbook at FNCE at the Luvo booth and was able to meet one of favorite chef/RD’s Ellie Krieger. This soup is so simple and packed with flavor. It’s called a “Creamy” Tomato Soup, but guess what? There’s no cream! That’s the magic of Registered Dietitian chefs – we know how to alter recipes with alternative ingredients to pack in more nutritional value while still getting delicious results.
The magic behind this creamless creamy soup – cashews! Cashews provide the ultimate creaminess when blended into soups. They make this creamy tomato soup so thick and smooth you would never know there isn’t dairy in there.
You can’t have tomato soup without grilled cheese, am I right? Instead of adding a grilled cheese on the side, I made mini grilled cheese “croutons” with my favorite whole grain bread + Cabot cheddar cheese.
Creamy Tomato Soup
- Yield: 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (28-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, 1 1/2 cups of water, the cashews, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the soup begins to thicken, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, for about 15 minutes, then puree in 3 batches until smooth, transferring the puree to a pot or storage container as it is pureed.
- To continue, reheat the soup in a pot over medium heat until it comes to a simmer.
- As the soup is cooking, spread butter on each slice of bread. Place butter side of bread down in a small pan, layer with cheese, then place the other slice of bread on top (butter side facing up). Cook until golden brown on each side and cheese has melted. Cut into small squares.
- Pour soup into bowl and top with mini grilled cheese “croutons”.
Creamy Tomato Soup recipe by Ellie Krieger’s You Have It Made cookbook.
Cashews, never knew that! Great tips.
That color is stunning and love the pic of you and Ellie 🙂
This looks so dreamy and creamy!!!
Pingback: Go Nuts for Heart Health + 70 Recipes Using Nuts
Pingback: 11 Tomato Recipes to Eat All Summer Long - Fresh Press World News