Enjoy the taste of Fall with these Baked Apple Cider Donuts!
This is my favorite time of year. The fall crisp air means, scarves, boots, and apple picking! I go apple picking every year and I always have to get an apple cider donut when I am at the orchard. You now can make them in the comfort of your own home with this donut recipe.
These donuts are baked instead of fried and use white whole-wheat flour to incorporate more whole grains. White whole-wheat flour – sounds like a contradiction, right?
What is white whole wheat flour?
“White wheat is a different type of wheat that has no major genes for bran color (unlike traditional “red” wheat which has one to three bran color genes). An easy way to think of it is as a sort of albino wheat. The bran of white wheat is not only lighter in color but it’s also milder in flavor, making whole white wheat more appealing to many people accustomed to the taste of refined flour.
If you don’t have a donut pan, you can always use a muffin tin. Cook time may vary. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick in the center and see if it comes out clean.Print
Baked Apple Cider Donuts
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
For the donuts:
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground all spice
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons butter, melted
½ cup apple cider
Cinnamon sugar topping:
½ tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift white whole-wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and ginger.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, melted butter, and apple cider.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Add batter to piping bag or large ziplock bag (cutting off the corner) and pipe batter into donut pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- As donuts are baking, combine additional sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Remove donuts from the oven. Sprinkle evenly with the cinnamon and sugar mixture while donuts are warm. Let slightly cool before removing from the pan.
Keywords: donuts, apple cider, baked donuts, dessert
Pingback: Grocery Store Finds: September 2017 | RDelicious Kitchen | Culinary Nutrition Communications Consultant