Baking in the kitchen brings back so many great memories. Growing up, my favorite recipe I would make with my mom is chocolate chip cookies. Over the years I’ve been tweaking that original recipe and have come up with a few alternatives over the years. My latest creation are these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip (Chickpea) Cookies.
Do you have a favorite family recipe? My mom’s classic chocolate chip cookie recipe is a tried and true recipe in our family. The recipe is typed up on (note: from a typewriter) paper is all torn and there are food spills and stains all over it. That’s what makes it so nostalgic.
These cookies are always made when guests are over for any holiday or celebration. It has become a dessert staple in our house. But they are not the healthiest (hello butter-flavored shortening and sugar!). I’m all for sweets in treats in moderation, but it’s fun to recreate a classic with a healthier twist.
Beans have been sneaking into more and more baked goods lately because 1) it can help reduce the amount of flour 2) beans can add a boost of protein and fiber. I used chickpeas since they have a very neutral taste and they match the color of chocolate chip cookies best.
Of course, I had to add peanut butter because peanut butter and chocolate is my favorite combo. And just for fun, I added some chia seeds. I really enjoy the added texture it gives to these cookies.
These cookies are a little more dense than your typical chocolate chip cookies. Whip up a batch of these when you are looking for a little treat midweek.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip (Chickpea) Chia Cookies
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 15 1x
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray or parchment paper.
- In a food processor, puree the chickpeas until smooth, set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the whole wheat pastry flour, chia seeds, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the peanut butter, brown sugar, and applesauce until smooth. Add in the chickpeas, vanilla extract, and eggs. Beat until smooth.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients with a spatula until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips. (Batter will be thick)
- Scoop the cookie dough batter (about 2 ounces each) onto the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to completely cool.
Keywords: cookie, chocolate chip cookie, chia seeds, healthy dessert, dessert, chickpeas