Looking for a sweet treat to end the summer? Enjoy a Caramelized Banana Sundae to finish off the summer in a sweet way.
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds.
There is small ice cream shop in my hometown called Cliff’s ice cream. It’s the home of the skyscraper – aka a giant soft serve ice cream cone. In second grade, on the last day of school, all the students received a free skyscraper coupon. I remember going to redeem my free skyscraper that summer and was so excited for this massive ice cream cone (as a second grader not concerned about portion control). There was always the debate vanilla, chocolate, or swirl soft serve with chocolate or rainbow sprinkles, or no sprinkles at all. My choice to this day is always vanilla/chocolate twist with rainbow sprinkles.
I still can picture my second grade self walking over to the park benches to dive right into my massive skyscraper ice cream cone, not only to trip and knock my ice cream onto the ground. #fail The wonderful employees at Cliff’s saw my mishap and came over with a new for me.
Don’t worry, I recovered from my second grade mishap and ice cream is still my favorite treat of choice in the summer time. A banana split just screams the ultimate ice cream treat, but today I’m showing you a more creative way to spruce it up.
The caramelized bananas tastes just like bananas foster but with letting the bananas themselves bring out their natural sweetness. The warm bananas on top of the cold ice cream is indulgent.
In culinary school, one of the areas we were always critiqued on was to vary the textures on the plate. The ice cream is soft, smooth and creamy. The bananas are warm, soft, and gooey. With two soft ingredients, you need that crunch factor. Blue Diamond’s Caramel Sea Salt Almonds match up perfectly with this recipe to top this sundae with.
- 2 scoops of your favorite ice cream
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Blue Diamond Salted Caramel Almonds, chopped
- optional toppings: sprinkles, caramel sauce
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the coconut oil.
- Add the banana slices and cook until lightly browned. Flip and cook the other side is caramelized and has lightly browned.
- Scoop ice cream into a bowl and top with caramelized bananas and Blue Diamond Salted Caramel Almonds (along with additional topping if you choose to).