I know there are many variations of this recipe. I like to keep it really simple – let the minimal ingredients develop powerful flavors that marinate together. The ingredients of this recipe contribute 3 out of the 5 taste sensations.
So what are the 5 tastes you experience everyday when eating?
There are five known tastes that are detected by taste buds: sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and umami. Although these tastes are detected by all taste buds, some regions of the tongue have a slightly higher sensitivity to some tastes than others.
- The sweet taste is created by carbohydrates such as sucrose and fructose, as well as artificial sweeteners such as aspartame and saccharine.
- The salty taste is generally created by salts containing sodium ions, such as sodium chloride (table salt) and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Salts containing potassium, lithium, and other alkali metal ions also produce a mildly salty flavor.
- Acidic compounds, such as citric acid and vinegar, produce sour flavors.
- Bitter flavors are produced by a variety of organic compounds and are generally considered an undesirable or unpalatable flavor. Many toxic chemicals produced by poisonous plants have a bitter taste, thus leading to the negative reaction to bitter foods.
- Umami, or savoriness, is the most recently discovered taste, found in foods that have a “meaty” taste due to the presence of the chemical glutamate. Meat, cheese, mushrooms, and the chemical monosodium glutamate (MSG) all contain glutamate.
Feta & Mint Watermelon Salad
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Fruit, Salad, Fruit Salad
Light and Refreshing Summer Salad. This salty and sweet combo adds a new twist to watermelon. Bring it to your next BBQ!
- 6 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Combine watermelon, feta cheese, and mint in a large bowl.
- Pour in lime juice and gently toss together.
- Serve immediately.
Watermelon – Sweet
Feta Cheese – Salty
Lime juice – Sour