Sneak in more vegetables by revamping a childhood favorite and instead making Cheesy Cauliflower Tots.
Hello… it’s me (please tell me you sang the Adele song in your head as you were reading this) I’ve been a little MIA this past week, because the bf was home on his spring break from PT school and blogging took the back burner. When you are in a long distance relationship, you want to soak in every minute when you can be together! But it’s the perfect time to jump back in to blogging because drumroll please… it’s Recipe ReDux time! This month Recipe ReDuxer’s were challenged to create recipes with 7 ingredients or less.
At work, for National Nutrition Month, I created a fruit and veggie challenge to strive for five fruits and vegetables a day. Each day on the calendar has five little boxes in it that participants can check off as they go along day to day to help them keep up with this challenge. This past week, one of the participants came into my office with doubt that she won’t be able to finish the challenge because she can’t stand to eat steam cauliflower for one more day. I don’t blame her. Steamed cauliflower every day for a month, I would get sick of it too! That conversation inspired me to make this recipe .. and also because Napoleon Dynamite was on TV last weekend – “You gonna eat your tots?”
Vegetables don’t have to be boring! I think this is where most people get stuck in a rut of preparing vegetables the same way over and over again. Simply changing up the cooking method can make all the difference. Have you ever compared steamed cauliflower vs. roasted cauliflower side by side? Big change in flavor, taste, and texture. Now, transform cauliflower into cheesy tots, I think cauliflower just got even more appealing! These tots freeze very well and great for simple veggie side dish.
- 4 cups finely chopped cauliflower (or cauliflower crumbles)
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Cabot cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup whole wheat panko
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place cauliflower in a large microwave safe bowl. Dampen a paper towel and place on top of cauliflower pieces. Microwave cauliflower for 2 minutes, until cauliflower is tender. Squeeze out any excess moisture with a dish cloth or paper towels.
- Add the egg, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, panko, garlic powder, and parsley. Mix well to combine.
- Add 1 heading tablespoon to each muffin tin. Press to pack down the cauliflower into the tin.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until cauliflower tots are golden brown. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from pan.