Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
1 cup pumpkin puree*
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling on top (optional)
* Make sure to get pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix. Pumpkin puree is purely pumpkin, whereas pumpkin puree has lots of sugar added.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tins with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, eggs, and sugar until blended and smooth.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture in batches, until combined. Do not over mix.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Spoon in the batter in the muffin tin, filling about 2/3 full. Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let muffins cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tins.