It’s movie night! When you are craving a crunchy snack, but can’t decide between popcorn or chips, combine them into this healthy new twist!
When it’s movie night, my snack of choice is always popcorn. Popcorn is a whole grain, which is a great snack choice and about 3 cups are in a serving, so you can feel good about filling up on this healthy snack fare. But it’s often what we put on popcorn that makes it go from a GO food to a SLOW or even WHOA food. (I use the go, slow, and whoa method when I teach children).
So instead of lathering your popcorn with butter and salt, try a a healthy new twist. When you are craving the “crunch-factor” kind of snack, double up with double crunch. I had some crumbs at the bottoms of a terra veggie chip bag sitting in my pantry and a light bulb went off when I was making this popcorn to put them together. Then, adding Cabot’s Cheddar Shake! Powdered Premium Cheddar Cheese made this EVEN BETTER! Cheddar makes everything better, right? I’ve added parmesan cheese to popcorn before, but cheddar was a fun new twist.
Recently my girlfriends and I got together for a movie night. My friend Kate is a total movie buff and brought along, an adventure/sci-fi movie, Divergent. Those type of movies are not my first choice, but Kate never disappoints me with her movie suggestions. Plus, there is some eye candy, that definitely was a plus. When the movie ended, we were all hooked. The sequel, Insurgent, recently came out and of course we had to get together for movie night, round 2. This time with Cheesy Veggie Chip Popcorn.
The key is, once it’s freshly popped, toss on the veggie chips and cheese powder right away so it sticks right on to the popcorn.
Cheesy Veggie Chip Popcorn
- Yield: 1-2 1x
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp Cabot’s Cheddar Shake! Powdered Premium Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup your favorite veggie chips, crushed (I used terra chips)
- Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan on medium high heat.
- Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan.
- When the kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer. Cover, remove from heat and count 30 seconds. (This method first heats the oil to the right temperature, then waiting 30 seconds brings all of the other kernels to a near-popping temperature so that when they are put back on the heat, they all pop at about the same time.)
- Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once. Once the popping starts in earnest, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner.
- Try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the popcorn will be drier and crisper).
- Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.
- Quickly toss the Cabot cheddar shake and crushed veggies chips when popcorn is still warm and will adhere to the popcorn.
Perfect Popcorn portion of this recipe by Simply Recipes
Love popcorn- such a healthy snack and options to jazz it up are endless- definitely need to check out that Cabot product!
Oh love the idea of using the bottom of the bag crumbs!!! Seriously Sharp and smart 😉
You’re killin me! This is the second recipe with that gem of Cabot Cheddar Shake and I can’t get my hands on it! 🙁 Something’s wrong with California stores!!! This looks delicious- if and when I can get that Cabot Shake, I’m making this!
Ahh, the Cabot cheese shake is my favorite accompaniment to a bowl of popcorn. You added veggies chips; brilliant! Divergent a great flick!
What a great idea to use the crushed chips! Gonna have to try it!
Pingback: Healthy Portable Snack Ideas | Easy Real Food Recipes