Are you ready to enjoy the best classic beef chili you have ever tasted? Made with hearty ingredients like ground beef and beans, and full of flavor from our chili seasonings.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 ½ pounds ground beef
2 teaspoons salt
1 medium onion, diced
4 carrots, peeled and finely diced
1 jalapeno, finely minced (optional)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (28-ounce) can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
2 cups beef or chicken broth
1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
Toppings: sour cream, cheese, avocado, chives, tortilla chips, etc.
- Heat a large Dutch oven or pot over medium high heat. Add oil and let heat to medium high heat. Add the ground beef, breaking into small crumbles with a wooden spoon. Add salt and continue to cook until beef have browned and fully cooked.
- Drain beef draining off most of the fat, but reserve 1-2 tablespoons in the pot. Add the onions and carrots. Sauté until soft. Add the jalapeno and garlic. Continue to sauté for another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the vegetables. Sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the fire roasted tomatoes and broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to lift anything that started to stick.
- Stir in the beef, black beans, and pinto beans.
- Bring chili to a low simmer. Cover the pot and allow to simmer on low heat for at least 45 minutes (ideally up to 2 hours to really develop the flavors!) Keep checking and stirring the chili every so often. If the chili becomes too thick, thin with additional broth or water.
- Top with your favorite topping and enjoy!