Lemon orzo with spinach is creamy, cheesy, and bursting with flavor! It’s an easy, but delicious meal that is ready in less than 30 minutes with minimal cleanup!
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 cups kale, chopped
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup orzo
3 cups baby spinach, stems removed
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 lemon, juiced and zested
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 1 minute. (Do not overcook or garlic will burn, and garlic will be bitter) Add the kale and sauté for a minute until it starts to wilt.
2. Stir in vegetable broth and heavy cream; bring to a simmer.
3. Stir in orzo and cook for 9 minutes or until al dente.
4. Stir in spinach.
5. Turn off the heat and stir in parmesan, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
6. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Can substitute with whole wheat orzo (although it is not always available in grocery stores)
Substitute any hearty dark leafy green for the kale like collard greens, Swiss chard, mustard greens, etc.