Enjoy this Beef Crostini appetizer topped with a creamy horseradish spread the next time you host a party or just want a light, delicious dinner.
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 pound rib cap, skirt, or flank steak, fat and gristle trimmed
For the spread:
2 tablespoons horseradish (not horseradish sauce)
3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 large shallots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 French baguette, sliced on a bias (angle) into ½-inch thick pieces
Olive oil, for brushing and for the pan
Chives, finely chopped, to garnish, optional
- For the marinade: In a large shallow dish, whisk together the Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Submerge the meat into the marinade, being sure to cover both sides. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for one in a half to two hours.
- For the spread: As the meat is marinating, in a small bowl mix together the horseradish, yogurt, cream cheese, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce until well combined. (For a lighter texture, beat with an electric mixer for a fluffier consistency) Place spread in the refrigerator until ready to use
- For the shallots: Heat a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and salt and sauté until golden brown. Add the balsamic vinegar and continue to sauté until balsamic has absorbed into the shallots. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the crostini: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush olive oil on the bread and place on the baking sheet. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, turning halfway through the cook time, until toasted.
- For the meat: Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Remove the meat from the marinade, pat dry, and discard the marinade. Heat oil in the pan. Place meat in the hot skillet and sear for about 5 minutes until a nice crust forms. Using tongs, turn the meat to sear the other side for about 5 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F. Remove from heat and let rest for 5-10 minutes allowing it to carry over cook to 140 degrees for medium. Slice along the grain.
- Assemble: Spread the horseradish mixture on each of the slices of bread. Top with slices of meat and then top with balsamic shallots. Sprinkle with chives, if using.